Miso has been a staple in Chinese and Japanese diets dating back approximately 2,500 years. Miso has a wonderful sweet/salty flavor that can be used in a wide variety of recipes. The color can vary from light yellow, good to use in a sweet miso soup during warm weather, to a deep dark brown with earthy tones and hearty flavor, which can be cooked with cubed root vegetables, wakame sea vegetable and dark leafy greens during the colder months. When purchasing, avoid the pasteurized version and spend your money on the live enzyme-rich product, which is also loaded with beneficial microorganisms. When cooking use just enough to enhance flavor and avoid overpowering the dish with a strong salty taste.
Scientifically researched benefits of miso:
- Contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
- Stimulates the secretion of digestive fluids in the stomach.
- Restores beneficial probiotics to the intestines.
- Aids in the digestion and assimilation of other foods in the intestines.
- Is a good vegetable-quality source of B vitamins (especially B12).
- Strengthens the quality of blood and lymph fluid.
- Reduces risk for breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers.
- Protects against radiation due to dipilocolonic acid, an alkaloid that chelates heavy metals and discharges them from the body.
- Strengthens the immune system and helps to lower LDL cholesterol.
- Is high in antioxidants that protect against free radicals.
Miso is a very good source of manganese and copper as well as a good source of zinc (all three are important mineral antioxidants). It is also a very good source of the mineral phosphorus as well as a good source of protein and dietary fiber. In addition to these conventional nutrients, it is also an important source of phytonutrient antioxidants inclu0ding phenolic acids like ferulic, coumaric, syringic, vanillic, and kojic acid.
This delicious recipe was adapted from one created by Jill Gusman. We hope you try it!
LEAVE A COMMENT
If you want to transform your life, if you want health and wellness, if you want peace of mind, there isn’t a better investment than working with Kasia.~ Beth